The meeting was cancelled because of the corona virus (COVID-19) issue. We hope we can organize the next face-to-face meeting in Spring 2022. We continue interaction via ANN Weekly, a Zoom-based online seminar series.
Date: March 23-25 (Monday-Wednesday), 2020
Closest train station: Hennef (Sieg)
(1 stop/5 min from ICE station Siegburg/Bonn, 35 min from Köln Hbf, 5 stops/20 min from Köln/Bonn Flughafen)
Registration Deadline: February 3, 2020
The ANN (Arthropod Neuroscience Network) Spring Meeting is a discussion oriented meeting aimed especially at young researchers to get to know each other and to exchange ideas and technical information about arthropod and insect neuroscience. It will be held during the spring semester break of even years, effectively alternating with the Göttingen Neuroscience Meeting.
To maximize communication between participants, especially among those who come from different labs and institutes, the meeting will be held in a confined atmosphere where all the attendants stay in the same place from breakfast to night beer. We explored more than 30 Tagungshotels, academies, and youth hostels from Berlin to Konstanz, and this time we chose Sportschule-Hennef for the venue because of the best balance between convenient transport connection and isolated atmosphere in a small forest. Up to 160 people can participate. We look forward to your attendance to make this new meeting a really fruitful one.
== Presentation ==
- All the talks and posters will be presented by young people (students, postdocs, and young lab heads and senior scientists who are less than 2-3 years after getting the position)
- Young people who want to participate without presentation are also welcome.
- More established people are strongly encouraged to participate as "discussers." Your comments and suggestions will be very helpful for younger people.
== Oral sessions ==
- We will have 4 to 6 oral sessions. Each talk will be 14-min presentation followed by 8-min discussion. Therefore we will have plenty of discussion time. (For the sake of diversity, we will have only one, or maximum two talks from each lab)
- Talks about any topics are welcome. We will organize them into several sessions. We also welcome the talks about methodology/techniques.
- Due to the time constraints, we might have to make selection if we receive too many talk applications.
== Poster sessions ==
We will have two poster sessions at both nights after dinner. They will transform to drink sessions with beer and wine for further communication.
== Plenary Lecture ==
Karen Mesce (University of Minnesota, Department of Entomology)
== Tentative Program ==
14:20-14:30 Welcome Remark
14:30-17:45 Oral Session 1
19:00-20:00 Plenary Lecture
09:00-12:15 Oral Session 2
13:15-15:40 Oral Session 3
15:40-18:00 Free time
19:00-22:00 Poster -> Beer+Wine
21:00 Small meeting for future plan
22:00- Party (we plan to offer some music in the poster rooms)
09:00-12:10 Oral Session 4
12:10-12:20 Closing remark
12:20-13:20 Lunch and Félix Dujardin Awards
== Meeting fee ==
110 € for PhD Students / Students
170 € for Postdocs / Technicians
250 € for Principle Investigators / Lab Heads / Senior Scientists / Retired
The fee includes two nights of stay, WiFi connection voucher. All meals, coffee, sweets during break are offered.
== Registration ==
Three steps to register
1: Setup/update your user account --> 2: Register --> 3: Pay
In the following I will explain the process in more detail.
== 1: Setup/update your user account ==
1: Please visit the ANN web site: https://ann.uni-koeln.de/
2: Click "ANN Meeting" at the left tab column.
3: Click "Registration" at the top tab row.
4: You will be asked to log in.
- If you already receive ANN mailing list emails, your Username is the email address to which ANN emails are sent.
- If you are a new member, please use the email address to which you want to receive ANN mailing list emails as the Username.
5: If you have not yet setup your password, please click "Forgot your password? Yes! :( " button at the bottom of the dialogue box, and type your email address again in the next dialogue box. Then click "Reset password".
6: You will receive an email called "ANN - Reset password". Click the link to set up your password.
(You will have to combine uppercase and lowercase alphabets, numbers, and non-alphabet characters. Sorry for the inconvenience.)
7: You may be asked to provide your contact information. Please follow instruction to fill in.
== 2: Register ==
1: Click "ANN Meeting" at the left and "Registration" at the top again.
2: Please check whether your contact information is correct.
3: Follow instruction to register. Please provide information about your gender, food preference, and type of presentation.
If you plan to present a talk, please provide both the title and abstract.
If you plan to present a poster, please provide a tentative title. (Abstract is not needed.)
4: You can save and revise the contents until you are satisfied.
5: When ready, please click "Save and Submit".
6: You will see a conformation page. Please remember the "Registration ID" (The number starting with #ANN). This number is needed for confirmation and payment through the Converia payment system.
== 3: Pay ==
1: Please click "Go to payment site (Converia)" at the bottom of the registration confirmation page.
2. Select a button to change language.
3: Select the type of participant type / Teilnehmerart (students / postdocs / others (senior scientists, lab heads, etc.) and click "Weiter". The amount of the fee will be indicated.
3: Click the button to proceed. You will be asked to input your contact address again; please provide minimum information (marked with * ) that are necessary for making the invoice. Detailed information is not needed. Do not forget to provide your Registration ID.
4: Click the button to proceed. A confirmation page will appear.
5: Select the paymentt method. You can pay by credit card, bank transfer, paypal, etc.
== Organizers ==
- Dr. Carmen Wellmann (Univ. Cologne)
- Dr. Andreas Thum (Univ. Leipzig)
- Dr. Uwe Homberg (Univ. Marburg)
- Dr. Thomas Riemensperger (Univ. Cologne)
- Dr. Kei Ito (Univ. Cologne)
The meeting is financially supported by the AXA Research Fund.